From 1587 to 1616 the spiritual administration of this town was under Cagsaua. The church together with several houses was burned in 1754. The eruption of Mayon Volcano, February 1, 1814, destroyed the new church and half of the town. In 1856 the old name Pueblo Viejo was officially changed to Legazpi. The present church was built in 1834, mainly thoguh the generorisity of Pedro Romero.